Create the Illusion of Space Using Mirrors
We all have mirrors in our homes, but most of us never stop to think about how truly wonderful they are for creating the illusion of more space, especially in small rooms. Today we want to share with you our favorite mirror tips for small bathrooms that will help you amp up your design while simultaneously making your bathroom seem larger and grander. These strategic ideas from our design team will guide you through mirror size, placement, and design to create the bathroom of your dreams.
Deciding on a mirror size can be tough. Here are a few suggestions:
- Most of us have a mirror above our vanities where our main lighting is, but the mirrors are often too small or not grand enough to truly make our bathrooms feel large and spacious. Choose a mirror or set of mirrors that cover the expanse of your vanity and mimic its size and shape to help reflect the beauty and design of the vanity and your décor.
- Use full-length bathroom mirrors to create the illusion of height (especially in a bathroom with low ceilings) and added space. Propping the mirror against the wall lends itself to a casual and relaxed feel, while mounting a large and substantial mirror adds drama and flair.
- Consider hanging mirrors behind your light fixtures. This will create the illusion of more space and amplify the light.
You found the perfect mirror. Where should you place it? Read on for a handful of ideas:
- Place a mirror across from a window to reflect the natural light that floods in, and to let the beautiful views into your space. If your window is small, you could try flanking it with mirrors on either side to create the illusion of a larger window, and then reflect your new view with an opposing mirror of greater size and design.
- Mirrored storage is a great way to hide the towels and toiletries from plain sight (and guests) while also creating the illusion of a larger space. Decorating with mirrors in this way is both functional and eye-catching, and allows you to make the most of your space, even in the tiniest of bathrooms. Consider mirrored freestanding cabinets for linen storage, mirrored vanities to add flair to your sink and backsplash, and a mirrored console table you can use as a dressing table in the morning.
- Mirrored backsplashes add light-reflecting surfaces to your bathroom in a small way that can range from subtle to bold depending on your preferred design.
- Incorporate mirrors into your small bathroom décor by using mirrored vases, perfume trays, storage jars, and picture frames. This creates a cohesive design and also generates more reflective surfaces in your bathroom that are perfect for enhancing light.
Using mirrors to reflect natural light and add design is one of the best small bathroom ideas you as a homeowner can utilize to make your bathroom feel more spacious and luxurious. They’re a wonderful addition to your space, but it’s important to be selective in your mirrored additions so your bathroom continues to be Trendproof throughout the years.
If you’re ready to remodel your bathroom or you have questions about the process, contact Devine Bath today to schedule a free in-home consultation.